Monday, July 18, 2011

I want to show you what real love looks like


I have not written in a couple weeks – life has been a bit hectic.  I will try to summarize my past two weeks fairly quickly, otherwise this could be a VERY long post!  I have completed weeks 5 & 6 since last posting.

Things are continuing to go – crazy at times, and then extremely encouraging and growing at other times.  I love my kids and am amazed every day at what God is teaching me.  Week 5 all of the kids from all of the elementary sites were able to participate in Spring Hill Camp.  They did not stay overnight, but every day we went to a local church and had camp with the kids.  This was a blessing, as us interns were not in charge and were able to have fun and encourage our kids more than usual.  At Spring Hill Camp, they sing silly camp songs, learn Bible Lessons and get to do fun game stations.  These game stations included the EuroBungy, Rock Climbing, Spider Mountain, Zip Lining, GagaBall (which is my new favorite game), bow & arrow shooting, Paint Marking (we do not call them paint ball GUNS, because that brings a VERY different connotation to these children, and we do not want that), Flying Squirrel (where we hoist the children up in a harness & they feel like they are flying), and of course WATER GAMES (which they got to do every day)!  They were also able to tie-dye shirts (I was also able to tie-dye my very own shirt for the first time).  The camp was so much fun and the kids seemed to have such a great time!  For many kids, if it weren’t for the Shepherd Day Camp (Summer Excel) Program, they wouldn’t be able to afford to go to camp.  It was a wonderful week where the kids were free to be just that – KIDS. 

The theme of Spring Hill Week was Super Heros – so on Thursday all of the counselors dressed up as Super Heros.  Some were silly things – like Super Awesome Girl, Disco Diva, Sunshine Girl, and Mighty Mustache Man.  I dressed up as “Inner Beauty Queen” (thanks Jeremy Height for the name).  I made it my mission that day to tell every girl how beautiful she was and make her feel valuable and loved!  At first, my kids didn’t get it at all!  I was called names like “you’re weird” “You’re funny looking”, to which I responded “thank goodness I am INNER Beauty!” haha  But it was fun to dress up and be silly with the kids and set an example for the girls especially. 

The last day of camp, the Spring Hill Counselors offered the opportunity for the kids to ask Jesus into their hearts.  Several of the children from my group prayed and asked Jesus into their heart and it was a moving experience.   All of the Spring Hill counselors were sad to say goodbye, but all of us were ready to be back into a normal routine with the kids again!  I know that week 5 was probably something that will have a lasting impact on the kids’ lives. 

Over the weekend we did some great Intern bonding activities.  Friday night all the girls dressed up and went out to dinner!  It was a LOT of fun, but very hot!  We had dinner at Buca Di Beppo’s and then walked around downtown.  The guys had a guy night with competition to win a trophy.  Saturday a group of us went to Broad Ripple Street side of Indy and walked around at all the little shops they had.  We even found this store that had all old school 80’s and early 90’s clothes, and we laughed hysterically at the crazy things people used to wear! Saturday night we all went to the $2.25 movie theatres and I got to see RIO (great animated movie, highly recommend seeing it!)  Sunday was probably my favorite experience of the entire summer.  We all drove after church up to Lake Morse and spent the day on the Lake, going tubing and Jet Skiing.  This was my first experience doing this, but it was so much fun.  Although, my body has been so sore all week and hugging my children brought more pain and joy, it was totally worth it!  It was a relaxing time to simply be outside, no worries, and having fun with this amazing community!

Week 6 was probably one of the craziest yet! Haha  Trying to regain structure after not having any structure the entire week before.    And being exhausted from being on the lake all day started the week off a little rough.  However, I learned from my children every day and was thankful for a great team of fellow interns at BEACH to keep me encouraged to not give up!   We continually have to teach and discipline the children in respect, and at the same time show them we will not give up or leave them.  It is rewarding to see them open up.  It is fantastic to have them run into the room and give me a huge hug. 

Tuesday we took the kids to see a dairy farm, and it was a completely different for these kids to experience than the city life.  Our kids asked some very interesting questions and I think were quite perplexed by the entire process.  They did NOT like the smells and were impatient, but it was definitely good for them to experience a new way of life that exists beyond their world. 

Wednesday, our Septic system backed up, and since we did not have functioning bathrooms, we had to move our children over to another Elementary site, Brookeside, for the rest of the week.  Brookeside has HUGE classrooms, but no air conditioning, so it was UNIQUE experience for our kids!  We made it through and loved being at Brookeside, but I doubt we will be invited back the rest of the summer after some crazy happenings…including one of our children pulling their fire alarm Friday…yep, perfect ending to a very CRAZY week!

What has God been teaching me…
God has been teaching me so many things.  I have been continually learning what real love looks like.  Last January God spoke into my life that he wanted to show me what real love looked like – His love.  Little did I know that I would be here at Shepherd Community working with Inner City kids, experiencing His love in every way everyday.  I am learning that real love extends grace before anger.  Real love disciplines and corrects.  Real love does not give up or walk away when things get tough.  Real love must first have love in order to give it.  That is a HUGE lesson I have learned – I myself must first accept God’s love and forgiveness before I can ever share it with others.  I must daily surrender and be filled by His love before I can give any away.  When I try to give it myself, I come up short – in my words, my thoughts, my actions…everything.  I have seen growth in my own heart and life- seeing myself become more tender and patient.  Although I am a LONG way away from what God desires of me, I know that I am learning and growing in ways that will impact His ministry for my life.  I am sad there are only 2 weeks left here, I know that this summer program is far from complete!  God is still planning to move in GREAT ways & please be praying for us to keep pushing, to not become complacent, but to keep working and loving without boundaries!

No comments:

Post a Comment